Category Archives: KNOW1 KNOWS

Eastside Traffic

If you’re planning to go the beach, get some shrimp or even head up the North Shore through the east side, be prepared to leave a little bit early than expected.

A portion of Kamehameha Highway will be shut down due to a new Hollywood movie production in Kaneohe this month.

Kamehameha Highway fronting Heeia Kea Pier Boat Harbor will be closed on Wednesday, June 21, and Thursday, June 22, as well as on Wednesday, June 28, and Thursday, June 29, from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. to accommodate filming for a Universal Studios production for the “Jurassic” franchise.

To avoid the “Jurassic” traffic, detours will be directed towards Kahekili Highway. Construction on Kahekili would be at a halt until the movie production is completed to facilitate maximum traffic flow for commuters. In addition, Kahekili highway has also improved with a second travel lane in the Kahalu’u direction.

HPD will also be on site to monitor traffic on both roads,  Kamehameha Highway and Kahekili as well as assisting with closures for commuters.

Be prepared to be moving slower than usual on the road.  Please drive with Aloha and let’s hope this movie production is worth watching! \m/

 

 

 

Cayetano’s Letter

Former Hawaii Gov. Ben Cayetano is urging President Donald Trump to stop more federal dollars from going to Honolulu’s rail transit project. “Honolulu’s rail project does not deserve a dollar more from the federal government,” the ad states. “It has become a poster boy for how politics, incompetence, disinformation and outright lies are at the root of wasteful rail projects which do little for the public except raise taxes.”

The project is sucking up enormous amounts of tax money that could be used to help solve problems that are far more pressing for Honolulu residents, such education and housing. Cayetano said cutting $800 million from the FTA money would not necessarily kill the rail project, but instead force the city to scale back the line and consider cheaper alternatives. The project could stop at Middle Street, for example, and use a bus rapid transit system to transport passengers into town, Cayetano said. Emerging technology such as self-driving cars soon will make light train lines obsolete, he argued.

“Community college could be free,” he said, citing the opportunity costs associated with funneling $10 billion toward the train. “With a billion dollars, you could have a five-year plan to build affordable rentals.”

At the end of the letter to Donald Trump, Ben Cayetano states “The rail project plans include seven massive elevated rail stations 50-60 feet high and the 35 foot high elevated rail line through the heart of downtown Honolulu,” the ad states. “If built, this will change the beauty and ambience of the city forever.”

 

<DOLL

Keep our oceans clean

Plastics, trash and discarded fishing gear end up on remote beaches and reefs — and in the belly of this black-footed albatross chick at Midway Atoll.

 

Huge piles of fishing buoys and nets, old footballs and volleyballs, a postal service box with rubber slippers in it, cracked construction helmets, big black tires, broken laundry baskets and even a plastic pink flamingo were stacked up Thursday morning along a federal pier at Ford Island.

For six years government workers and volunteers have been collecting the junk that drifts onto the reefs and beaches of Kure and Midway atolls and storing it in a pile on the tarmac at Midway. The mountain of marine debris grew to an estimated 100,000 pounds.

Thanks to a multi-agency state and federal effort, that mountain of rubbish was removed from the tiny Northwestern Hawaiian Islands outpost and shipped to Honolulu. The charter vessel Kahana arrived here last week carrying 12 shipping containers filled with derelict fishing gear, old nets, faded plastics and lots of other junk. The state Department of Land and Natural Resources provided funding to help the feds haul 12 shipping containers of marine debris that had been collected at Midway and Kure and stored on the tarmac at Midway. The haul of marine litter will be processed by Schnitzer Steel Corp. and transported to the city and county’s H-POWER plant, where it will be converted into electricity, officials said Thursday.

“Marine debris are not something you can clean up just once; it takes a sustained effort over time,” U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Superintendent Matt Brown said. “By working with the state of Hawaii, Office of Hawaiian Affairs and NOAA, we can accomplish more than any one agency on its own to clean up marine debris and educate the public to prevent it from entering the ecosystem.”

Each year the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the state of Hawaii and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration staff members and volunteers scoop up tons of marine debris from the various islands and reefs that make up the vast national monument. Over the past 20 years, NOAA staff members and partners have removed more than 1.9 million pounds from the Northwestern islands, according to the monument. In recent years, the agency has sent annual missions to the northwest to search out the marine debris and bring it back to Honolulu.

Cleaning up the shores is important, officials said, because wildlife, such as the threatened Hawaiian green sea turtles and endangered Hawaiian monk seals, can become lethally entangled or starve after ingesting the debris.

 

Lets do our part and keep the trash out of the ocean. Preserve our ocean’s wildlife and keep our oceans trash free 🙂

<3 DOLL

Hawaii’s Own Smolka Returns to the Octagon

  Kapolei native, 12th ranked Louis “Da Last Samurai” Smolka will be stepping right back into the octagon this Saturday night on UFC on Fox 24. Despite his 2 losing streak recently,  he will try to break it against 9th ranked rising star flyweight, Tim Elliot. Both fighters looking for a way to make a comeback after having tough losses to ranked fighters in the game.

From the KNOW1 Ohana, we’d like to say good luck to Louis Smolka and to all fighters! Hawaii will be rooting for you till the end. Keep representing and all Blessings to the Smolka team!

#courtesyofkaneohe

Ka Ivi Coast… SAVED

Last week, the mayor of Honolulu made an announcement that many locals have been waiting to hear for a long time: the last two parcels of the Ka Iwi Coast initially slated for development are officially saved with the granting of a conservation easement.

In 2015 a  group called “Livable Hawaii Kai Hui” was formed — a community-oriented nonprofit focused on cultural and environmental conservation — had risen to the challenge of purchasing Ka Iwi Mauka to protect it in perpetuity.

With Ka Iwi proudly preserved, the Hui and its partners can refocus some energy on stewarding such sites around Maunalua as Pahua heiau, Aloha ‘Āina ‘o Kamilo Nui nursery, Hāwea heiau complex and Keawāwa wetland. The Hui also aims to support other community groups and nonprofits, strengthening a network of dedicated cultural and environmental conservationists, and working with them to increase public engagement with our mutual projects.

On the Hui’s Instagram, you’ll find several reposts from and appreciation messages dedicated to a community volunteer network you’ve likely heard of before: 808 Cleanups.

You can even check out their website to read more about this at

https://www.hawaiikaihui.org/ka-iwi-coast/

 

<3 DOLL

Trump’s Missile Attack!

“Assad choked out the lives of helpless men, women and children,” Trump declared.

The United States blasted a Syrian air base with a barrage of cruise missiles Thursday night in fiery retaliation for this week’s gruesome chemical weapons attack against civilians. President Donald Trump cast the U.S. assault as vital to deter future use of poison gas and called on other nations to join in seeking “to end the slaughter and bloodshed in Syria.”

It was the first direct American assault on the Syrian government and Trump’s most dramatic military order since becoming president just over two months ago. The strikes also risk thrusting the U.S. deeper into an intractable conflict that his predecessor spent years trying to avoid.

Announcing the assault from his Florida resort, Trump said there was no doubt Syrian President Bashar Assad was responsible for the chemical attack, which he said employed banned gases and killed dozens.

The U.S. strikes —59 missiles launched from the USS Ross and USS Porter — hit the government-controlled Shayrat air base in central Syria, where U.S. officials say the Syrian military planes that dropped the chemicals had taken off. The U.S. missiles hit at 8:45 p.m. in Washington, 3:45 Friday morning in Syria. The missiles targeted the base’s airstrips, hangars, control tower and ammunition areas, officials said.

Trump ordered the strikes without approval from Congress or the backing of the United Nations. U.S. officials said he had the right to use force to defend national interests and to protect civilians from atrocities.

Syrian state TV reported a U.S. missile attack on a number of military targets and called the attack an “aggression.”

The U.S. assault marked a striking reversal for Trump, who warned as a candidate against the U.S. being pulled into the Syrian civil war that began six years ago. But the president appeared moved by the photos of children killed in the chemical attack, calling it a “disgrace to humanity” that crossed “a lot of lines.”

How do you feel about this? Let us know on FB!

<3 DOLL

The case of “Peter Boy”

Peter Boy disappeared from his Hawaii Island home in 1997; the last time his siblings saw him alive was in June of that year.

While his body was never found, police concluded that he was murdered.

Peter Boy’s parents have long been the main suspects in their son’s disappearance, but previous prosecutors never moved forward with charges, citing a lack of evidence.

The child’s disappearance two decades ago set off intense police investigations and a media firestorm. It also raised serious questions about state Child Protective Services, and triggered a series of reforms aimed at better protecting abused kids.

The Kemas had been facing state CPS investigations for years before Peter Boy’s death, and documents showed he had been the victim of repeated incidents of abuse. At just 3 months old, he was brought to Hilo Hospital with multiple new and healing fractures.

Peter Boy’s parents didn’t officially report him missing until January 1998, months after he was last seen alive.

It was three years ago, in 2014, that Hawaii County officials announced they finally had new leads in the case. But they stressed that moving forward with charges would take time.

Over the years, Peter Boy’s siblings have spoken publicly about their pain, and tried to recount what they remembered from all those years ago.

Lina Acol, Peter Boy’s younger sister, told Hawaii News Now in 2014 that she believes she saw her brother’s lifeless body in a box in 1997, when she was 4.

Today Wednesday April 5, 2017 In a groundbreaking development to one of Hawaii’s most well-known murder cases, Peter Kema, Sr. pleaded guilty to manslaughter on Wednesday for the 1997 death of his 6-year-old son, “Peter Boy.”

According to the terms of his plea arrangement, Kema will be spared the possibility of spending life in prison, instead serving a 20-year sentence for manslaughter and a five-year sentence for hindering prosecution.

He’ll be allowed to serve the terms concurrently as long as he shows authorities where his son’s remains are. If the remains can’t be recovered, he’ll have to pass a polygraph test while describing what happened to his son.

A formal sentencing hearing in the case has been scheduled for June 9.

<3 DOLL

KNOW1 is ready for budget cuts

Major federal budget cuts are going to hit Hawaii soon.

Education, consumer protection, housing, environmental regulation, health care and public broadcasting are all on the chopping block. Even funding for the Coast Guard, which plays a vital role in national defense, is reported to be under assault.

Many people will be affected if the most conservative scenarios play out in Washington. Some 33,000 people in Hawaii work for the federal government, and President Donald Trump is preparing to propose what the White House labeled a “historic contraction of federal workforce.”

Social services for the poor will be hit. About 192,000 Hawaii residents get food stamps each month. More than 2,300 local families get federal housing subsidies that help them rent homes in the islands.

The state government will feel the blow. About a fifth of the money in the state’s annual budget — more than $2 billion a year — comes from the federal government. This helps pay the cost of operating the University of Hawaii, school lunches for poor kids, medical programs for new mothers and their children, environmental advocacy and protection and myriad other programs.

In all, more than $3.2 billion in contracts, grants and other kinds of assistance flowed, or will flow, to Hawaii from the federal government in fiscal year 2017, when payments to veterans, senior citizens and the disabled are included, according to a federal government website, usaspending.gov, which collects and compiles figures from all federal agencies.

The official federal budget-setting process will begin Thursday, when Trump proposes an annual budget for the federal agencies that will define his budget priorities.

The president has already said he intends to increase defense spending by $54 billion, and there is some bipartisan support for that goal. He has also said he would not accept cuts to Social Security, Medicare or the Department of Veterans Affairs to help pay for the increase.

This means, at least at this point, that all the cuts will come from other government agencies.

 

<3 DOLL

Hawaii VS Trump

The state of Hawaii will ask a federal judge to block President Trump’s revised executive order barring the issuance of new visas to citizens of six Muslim-majority countries, according to a court filing.

The action — which lawyers for the state hope to file Wednesday — would mark the first formal legal challenge to the order, which the president signed Monday. Hawaii also sued over Trump’s first travel ban, and lawyers for the state told a judge in a court filing that they want to resume that litigation to ask for a temporary restraining order on the new directive.

The new order reduces the list of affected countries from seven to six — removing Iraq while keeping Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Libya, Yemen and Syria. It explicitly exempts legal permanent residents and current visa holders, blocking only the issuance of new visas for citizens of the affected countries for 90 days. It also spells out a lengthy list of people who may be eligible for exceptions, including those previously admitted to the United States for “a continuous period of work, study, or other long-term activity”; those with “significant business or professional obligations”; and those seeking to visit or live with family.

The new order keeps intact a 120-day suspension of the refu­gee program, and it declares the United States will not accept more than 50,000 refugees in a year, down from the 110,000 cap set by the Obama administration.

In the long run, the state of Hawaii  probably would try to prove that the executive order violates the establishment clause of the First Amendment in that it intentionally discriminates against Muslims.

 

<3 Doll

Rest In Peace Keenyn

A 72-year-old retired firefighter was arrested Saturday following an apparent road rage incident in Aiea that left Keenyn Pahio, 31 year old, single father of three little girls dead.

The incident happened about noon on Moanalua Road near Aiea Heights Drive, after two drivers got into a traffic-related argument, police said.

A witness said one of the drivers (Pahio) exited his vehicle and punched the other driver, who then allegedly retaliated by firing his gun (Freeman). Not only did Freeman shoot Pahio but before fled the scene Freeman ran over the victims body that was laying in the middle of the road.

Its sad to see this kind of violence in Hawaii. Its not everyday we see road rage escalate into incidents like this. The sad part about this whole situation is that Pahio had his 2 little daughters in the car and they witnessed their dad getting shot.

It didn’t take long for police to locate the alleged shooter, identified as 72-year-old Darryl Freeman. Police said he barricaded himself inside his home, about two miles from the crime scene, before eventually surrendering. Freeman was arrested for second-degree murder.

<3 Doll